Tuesday, May 18, 2010

OH Myyyyyyy LIFE!!!

Oh man it has been so so so so so so farrrrrr too long since updating my blog! I need to make some kind of goal for writing in my blog. How does 3 times a week sound? I think I've been hanging around missionaries too long... but that's not a bad thing.

SO FIRST OFF I wanted to write because of my class. I'm taking an adolescent literature class and LOVE IT by the way but anyway one of the most amusing parts of our discussions is just listening to the opinions of different people in the class and I totally know that was a run on sentence thank you because sometimes they are just fun to write you know?

Wait.

Back UPPPP.

Don't all Mormons have the same opinions?

I mean, I know we differ a bit, like... Who's better? Glenn Beck or Rush Limbaugh? ... but in the end we all hate Obama, right?

WRONG my friends.

First scene:

"I might be a little more pro-choice than other people in the room, but I don't think this book was necessarily leaning one way or the other," says the girl sitting next to me. I might have ducked for cover after throwing out such a liberal alarm word, but she holds her ground. "It might have been a little harder for me if I had had an abortion myself, but I really think the author leaves the issue open. He's trying to get us to think about it and form our own opinions."

You go barefooted hippie girl who sits next to me and wears long dresses and doesn't wear make up and sits in her desk cross-legged and giggles to herself while reading books. You gotta hand it to her for doing homework DURING class. And for openly exposing her more liberal self in the middle of class. Even if it is a literature class.

Next scene:

Me walking out to the vending machine to get a snack. I hit the wrong button and get the wrong granola bar, so I'm already a little shooken up. Well, Texas girl comes up to me. I'm gonna call her Texas girl because she loves Texas. I mean, I LOVE Texas but this girl LOOOOOOO-OOOO-OOOO-OOOOOOOOOOOVES Texas. We've talked about it before, as you might have guessed.

"That discussion made me a little sad." says Texas girl. Uh oh. I see where this is going.

"Yeah there seem to be a lot of people with a lot of different opinions in our class, huh?" I say, trying to pick up the pace back to class and avoid a conversation I don't really want to get into.

"Mmmm-hmmmm. All I know is some of us in that class are going to heaven and some aren't" she says and sighs. I look at her to make sure... nope, she's not joking. "Well, I guess that's just one less spot I have to worry about beating out up there!"

Luckily we've made it back to class and I can slip into my seat without having to respond. I mean, how DO you respond graciously to a comment like that? That's my personal conviction. Respond graciously to everyone, even if I don't agree with them. Which I didn't. Not with hippie girl or Texas girl.

It's just not easy being a not-sure-how-much-I'm-conservative-and-how-much-I'm-liberal kind of a person. I see why people go to one side or the other. At least you get like half the nation to agree with you.

So, I'm trying to figure life out... a bit at a time. This might sound a bit Bob Marley or the Beatles-esque (which is ok) but what it all comes down to is LOVE. Texas girl might be crazy. I'm fairly certain she is. I'm not all that sure about hippie girl's sanity level either. But I can still love the HECK out of both of them. I think that's what Jesus wants us to do.










P.S. The book we read is Unwind by Neal Shusterman. I loved it and recommend it to anyone looking for a good read. Also, it's not nearly as controversial as it sounds from this post.




7 comments:

  1. Bravo, you "rockin Idaho girl"!!
    Love is the answer!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! Gotta love those people who chose which of us are going to heaven...some people can be so close minded and judgemental. I am with you though- sometimes I feel like I am a little more liberal than I'm *supposed* to be. But then on the other hand... I don't think we are *supposed* to be any one thing in particular at all! I suppose that's why we have freedom of choice :) And I gotta hand it to hippie girl for sharing her opinion, knowing it wasn't the popular answer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My. Favorite. Post. Thus. Far. Period.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a feeling that comment has more than one meaning, Justin...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It doesn't, unless it's coming from my subconscious. ^.^ (In some countries, that is a smiley face, but I think it just looks like a cat.)

    ReplyDelete