Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Flu (No, not of the swine variety).

So, having the flu is fun. I forgot. Getting sick makes me realize some things about myself.

#1-My Protestant work ethic. Yes, I did still go to class on Monday despite waking up at 4:00 am with a splitting headache, a torturous motion-sickness filled 2 hour flight from San Diego to Salt Lake, nearly passing out several times both in the airport and on my way to class, and an admonition from the University to stay home if we were showing any signs of the flu. Not that it did me any good. I think I got 27.543% of what was said in class. I did, in fact, during that painful flight, finish my reader report which was due in class (not my best work, aka, total crap), and pick up my take-home midterm from my other class (and finished it on time again today-more crap).

#2-I like eating! Nothing like a good bout of nausea every time you take a bite of anything to make you long for the days when you could look at a big juicy hot dog without wanting to run the other way and hurl. Funny thing though... I don't always give it up. I figure out what I can keep down and eat a lot of it. Needless to say, I've had my share of Sprite and toast the last few days.

#3-I'm kind of a baby. I was reading this story about a lady with chronic pain who said when she cries it's not because of the pain but because there's no visible end in sight. Well, I'm not sure that's why I cry when I'm sick (it may in fact have to do with #2), but I tend to get a lot more whiny/helpless when I'm sick. I'd like to think it's something everyone does, and maybe it's just the fact that my mom was here. Although, instead of feeding me soup and rubbing my head she had me moving furniture. "It will be good for you." She said. Yep. Dr. Mom.

#4-I'm not invincible. I swear, every time people around me are getting sick I just think to myself "Wow, good thing I have such an amazing immune system" and then WHAM! I'm laying in bed wondering what happened to all those white blood cells. It seems the flu is hardly ever a respecter of persons (or deadlines for that matter!)

Well, I hope to get better in a few days. In the meantime, I'm gonna pick me up one of these:

BEST INVENTION EVER!!!!!

5 comments:

  1. I think my favorite part of your mom having you move furniture was your come back about what it would be like if your mom were a doctor. Also, in regards to (part of) number one, have you seen the signs all over campus? The ones that say "feeling sick? STOP!" It says more after that, but that's as far as I ever get, and I think that's the real message, since the rest is illegible from far away. If only the university were also a doctor. I would just stop being sick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh-- so sorry you are sick!! Get feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. #1 - I have decided that now is the best time to be sick with anything because misinformed admin mixed with a mislabeled pandemic/"epidemic" makes for very lenient and understanding professors. The word 'swine' really adds something to just another strain of virus...

    #2 ditto

    #3 hahaha (I am actually sorry, but it's just so funny-in a very mean kind of way.) I can make you soup if you'd like. I make pretty good soup.

    I don't have anything to say to #4, but I tend to think that tissues from a box suffice and tampons are pretty much the best invention ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe I should have babied you a little more, but dang your appt looks cute!
    Love you!!
    aka Dr.Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. apartment!(I should always edit!)

    ReplyDelete