Sunday, May 8, 2016

An Ode to Mom

I'm always so daunted by Mother's Day. How do you begin to thank the person who literally brought you into this world? I mean if she did NOTHING else for you - who else (divine beings aside) has done something like that for you? I've not been pregnant, but from what I've heard, it's no easy feat. Then there's that whole raising a child thing. Nbd.

That said, I would like to try, though it be inadequate, cheesy, and a bit braggy (it's socially acceptable to boast about one's mother, correct?), to describe why my mom is the best mom:

She loves everyone. 
Like EVERYone. It's impressive. You show me someone who would drive anyone else absolutely nuts, and my mom will be able to find no less than five redeeming qualities in that same person. I'm willing to bet on it.

She's the best cheerleader. 
Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders listen up - you could learn a few things from this lady (plus she's hotter than all y'all). Every time I have a new idea, a new direction I want to go with my life, a new business I want to start, a new spiritual path I've decided to take, she's like, "I think you should go for it." She's always encouraging me. Believing in me. I could tell her I'm running for president of the United States, and she'd get out her computer and start making campaign posters. 

She feels my pain. 
From scraped knees to broken hearts and lost dreams - she hurts when I'm hurting; she cries when I'm crying. She can't take the pain away (though I know she wishes with all her heart she could), but she can take me in her arms and do that soothing thing that she's so good at. Man she's good at that soothing thing. 

She's steady.
Like a rock. I've seen this woman go through some really tough stuff. And I'm sure I don't even know the half of it. But I've never, not once, seen her faith waiver. I've never once seen her lose her hope. I'm over here losing hope all the time like no one's business, but that's just not her style. It gives me hope that maybe someday I can have hope like she does.

She's just so dang fun.
I'm going to repost a video at the risk of getting in trouble, but I think it's worth it. I can only get in so much trouble now that I'm an adult, right?



See that? Not every mom can get down like that. She's a zip-lining, adventure-loving, late-night-chatting, expert-shopping, down-for-whatever kind of mom. She's not only my mom, she's my best friend. And one that I just can't get enough of.

So. That's my attempt. Thank you, Mom, for being my mom. I wouldn't have it any other way.

3 comments:

  1. I don't know what I did to deserve you, but I will forever be grateful! Thank you, for this beautifully written tribute! I didn't anticipate the joy of adult children and the friend they become. You've been my shining example!
    You describe here the person I strive to be, but often fall short. It certainly gives me something to live up to! My heart is overflowing ❤️ Love you so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree ..... your mom's all that plus some!! (Especially the dancing part! LOL!) Beautiful tribute to an amazing mom!!

    ReplyDelete