Monday, August 3, 2009

Defining Me.

This is somewhat of a continuation of my "Acceptance" post.

So, for the 3 weeks that I've worked in the Referral Center... it seems like each week has had its own "theme"... people that get on with the same kinds of questions.

The first week, I had a lot of people come on with questions about the Church's stance on homosexuality. Since I was sending the article to everyone, I decided it might be a good idea for me to go ahead and read it. REALLY good article for those of you who have not read it, by the way...

Anyway, there was a statement by Elder Oaks that really stood out to me... and has been on my mind for a while.

"We have the agency to choose which characteristics will define us; those choices are not thrust upon us."

Seriously, what a profound statement. We live in a world that is so quick to define people... The dumb kid, the smart kid, the athletic kid, the fat kid, the weird kid... But ultimately, it is ME who gets to choose who I AM.

It's definitely important to take a step back and see what it is that we are letting define us... And also how we are defining others. Who am I to put someone else in a box? Or myself? It reminds me of an invitation from Sister Thurston (my mission president's wife) to live life without limits.

My goal: LIVE LIFE WITHOUT LIMITS. Also, be FEARLESS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment