Saturday, April 24, 2010

Neekarrraguwa, Dia Dos

Nicaragua es LO MEJOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (the best)


Let's break it down:


#1 - super hot tropical weather + 99.9999% humidity + broken A/C + lots of bodies crammed into one cultural hall = Priceless.


No really. I loved the crazy hot sweaty ness of it all. I really felt like I was in Nicaragua (I could have been anywhere working in an air-conditioned dental office but TODAY noooo. TODAY I was DEFINITELY in Nicaragua).


#2 - new friends.


My favorite today was the first boy we worked on. Erick. He was 11 but looked like he was about 7. He was super brave and had his little HLJ ring on. He and his mom told me he can't wait 8 years to be able to go on a mission, and his dream is to go to Salt Lake City (precious). Every time Dr. Oyuela would get out the needle Erick would grip the sides of the chair and just yell. Then his mom would start to tear up because she didn't want to see her baby hurt. I'm not sure who it was harder for. But, both of them were troopers and we made it through.


Dr. Oyuela. The dentist I assisted. He is a young Honduranian dentist who has helped out with every one of these trips. We really had a fun time together, talking about everything from salsa dancing to Disneyworld to reggaeton to comida centroamericana. I was grateful for his patience with my lack of experience in assisting. I'm pretty sure he thinks I'm a crazy white girl, but in all fairness... I am. We are totally gonna be Facebook friends.


#3 - food. so much food. I have to say, I like Central American food. Rice and beans... pretty standard (but still oh so delicious). For breakfast I had some fried platanos, a tamal wrapped in a plantain wrapper, a plaintain, and like 5 fruits I did not recognize and still have no idea what they were. For dinner we had some more delicious Nicaraguan food, but the best part was the salsa. Rafa (aka Dr. Oyuela) taught me how to say what the salsa was, but I already forgot. Gonna have to ask him that again... but it was kind of like the Central American version of pico de gallo. And coconut flan. yum.


#4 - my bed. I am seriously so worn out today. We worked on patients from about 10am to 7pm... and today was a light day. Good thing tomorrow is a day of rest... and then it's gonna be crazy! I love it though... the people are so beautiful and they are just so grateful for what we are doing.


I could totally do this the rest of my life if some rich relative I don't know of would just appear and decide to sponsor me to go on a bajillion humanitarian trips. That's likely.

No comments:

Post a Comment