Monday, July 13, 2009

Leaving

So lately I've been thinking about the concept of "leaving." And not just leaving, but being left out, left behind, missing out, or just the concept of change in general. It's the whole "the grass is greener" or "you don't know what you have until you've lost it" mentality. It's quite the phenomenon, I think.

I'm pretty sure I tried to cherish every day of my mission. Granted, there were days that were more difficult than others. However, I knew the day would come that it would end and I knew that that would be a hard day. And I suppose that day came sooner than I thought it would. In fact, it came every time I had to leave an area. As soon as I would get that transfer call, I felt like everything was going on without me... that there were all these happenings that I helped to bring about, and that I wasn't going to get to be a part of them any more. It didn't matter if there was practically nothing going on; there was always something that I knew I would be left out of.

Seems that this is human nature! Looking back, I even felt that way graduating from high school! And heavens, I would not go back now for the world (though I would probably get that 4.0 I always wanted). Why? Because I've experienced better things. I was scared to leave, I thought I would miss out on things... but little did I know, there was so much more waiting for me on the other side.

And thus it is with my current situation. I have been working at a college advisement center for a year now. It's been a good job, but I've felt the need lately to move on. So I decided to apply at the Missionary Training Center (MTC), because it's been my dream, ever since I went there myself, to be an MTC teacher. And guess what? I got a job! I couldn't be more excited! However, then I started looking at my current job with this whole new perspective... (aka, how much I was going to be leaving behind). Then I had to stop myself! Of course there would be things I would be leaving behind... but amazing things are waiting for me at the MTC. It's time for growth. It's time for change.

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new job! I am excited, and this should be such a great opportunity for you to keep up your Spanish too since that was a concern you had expressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. green with envy. you will be so awesome

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know how I feel and I know exactly how you feel. You are going to be great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anna!! I'm so proud of you and excited for you! You will be a GREAT teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOOHOO! I am so happy and excited for you!! I know you will be an awesome teacher! Say hi to Adam Ward for us! Also -- would you mind if I sent a copy of your last post to Matthew. I think your thoughts were very informational, inspirational, and just what a NEW missionary needs to hear! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No prob, Karen. And you should give me his address so I can send him a letter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats Anna!!! I'm excited for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Anna! and here is Matthew's address. I know he would love getting a letter!

    Elder Matthew Ward
    Puerto Rico San Juan West Mission
    Urb. Jardines de Caparra
    500 Calle Marginal Norte
    Bayamon PR 00959
    Puerto Rico

    ReplyDelete