Friday, March 20, 2009

Hiking the Y

Alright, so we did a little experiment on that last post... I actually didn't write it. You may recognize the writer from my first post - all the credit goes to Louis. That's right, the one who got his cookies stolen. In fact, where the italics begin, so does he. It's fitting anyway, as I don't know anyone who appreciates Spring more than Louis.
Speaking of Spring, and Louis, I'm going to write about Hiking the Y. "Hiking the Y" is a familiar phrase around Provo, but I realize out of context it has little sense. One of my favorite things about Utah is that the mountains here are gorgeous (although I've heard from certain sources that once you've been to Switzerland, their majesty diminishes in comparison). Thus far my international travel being extremely limited - well, nonexistent - the Utah mountains are still sufficient to leave me awestruck. Anyway, in honor of the great Brigham Young University, there is a big "Y" on one of the eastern mountains. Until this week, that "Y" had been merely a speck on the mountainside, but now I've had the opportunity to see it up close and it was quite exciting.
It started in the park. Louis and I were swinging. I was getting a little dizzy from leaning my head backwards while moving forward when he mentioned that we should hike the Y.
"I've never been."
"WHAT?"
Silence. We continue swinging.
"Part of me just wants to leave right now and take you up to the Y."
"Well?"
"Would you do it?"
"Yes!"
"Let's do it then!"
Yes, I'm proud of our spontaneity. So, we rushed home, threw together some bread and lunch meat to eat sandwiches, and we hiked the Y. We started the trail with another couple right behind us, and they were our pacesetters the whole time. I'm happy to report that we did beat them to the top.
It really was magical though. Looking at the lights from the top of the mountain, seeing the world go on forever as if it will never end... and noting the "curve of the earth," as my scientist boyfriend so often likes to point out. He thinks I just laugh at him when he says that, but really, I'm thinking about it.
I'm not one who can really go on and on writing about nature (sorry Emerson), but I'll work on that. Needless to say, I won't soon forget our hike to the Y. It was just a combination of so many good things at once - impulse, nature, Spring (that's right), competition, exercise, delicious cool air, good conversation, turkey sandwiches, etc.
I recommend hiking the Y. Or something equally as fun that incorporates all those great elements into one. Sometimes you just have to leave life behind for a second.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Anna! I just found your blog! I have to tell you that you are such an amazing writer. You are so talented. I wish that I could write and have it be so interested. You are truely blessed with that ability. I hope everything is wonderful. I am excited to hear you have a boyfriend. Your mom told us the news on Sunday when she came over for dinner. Hope we get to meet him soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anna! That is hilarious about Louis writing your last post! When I read it I was thinking "Anna -- liking guys with short-shorts?! That just isn't the Anna I know!" HEEHEE!
    Sounds like you are having fun at BYU! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete